Did you know that…
- There are around 10,000 different species of birds worldwide.
- The Ostrich is the largest bird in the world. It also lays the largest eggs and has the fastest maximum running speed (97 kph).
- Scientists believe that birds evolved from theropod dinosaurs.
- Birds have hollow bones which help them fly.
- Some bird species are intelligent enough to create and use tools.
- The chicken is the most common species of bird found in the world.
- Hummingbirds can fly backwards.
- The Bee Hummingbird is the smallest living bird in the world, with a length of just 5 cm (2 in).
- Around 20% of bird species migrate long distances every year.
- Homing pigeons are bred to find their way home from long distances away and have been used for thousands of years to carry messages.
In addition, birding or bird watching is the fastest-growing outdoor activity in America. According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 51.3 million Americans report that they watch birds. People of all ages watch birds and it’s easy and fun to do!
Bird watchers observe birds in their natural habitat and they learn to identify and understand what they are doing. This awareness of bird life around you can add delight and adventure in your life as you begin to notice their beauty and power of flight.
Respect for the environment and knowledge about nature is one of the core values that PlanToys® embraces. By creating sustainable products, we hope to instill these values to our children and their families. Our new Bird House and Bird Feeder are perfect additions to your garden. Hang this on a tree in your backyard, and not only will it provide a unique element to your surroundings, but you can start bird watching in your own backyard with your little ones and feel closer to nature! Visit www.plantoys.com to get yours now.